1. The smell of pollen is pungent and sweet in the air. She pats the earth in each pot with two fingers, it looks damp and rich. We talk but she is somewhere else, not with me. I try to imagine how i would feel if I never saw her again.
2. For the fourth time he props up the shelf with one hand and begins to drill with the other. The screw wobbles and falls to the ground. He gets down on his knees to retrieve it and locks eyes with the dog across the way, watching him. He feels inadequate.
3. It had been a long day of watching MASH reruns on TV. I put my stockings on in the morning and then never went out. My toes curled against the silky fabric, it was getting cold. Doug got home and asked how my day had been. “Good. busy” I lied.
4. “Mitch dug it up round the back when he was putting in the tap. We’re thinking it might be worth something. Mitch reckons it’s getting bigger. I told him that’s crazy talk. Ill tell you something odd, yesterday Milo barked at it for an hour straight. Couldn’t shut him up.”
5. Sometimes I think about my Nona, a single mother coming out from Haiti with five kids. It must have been tough, leaving everything to give them a better life. Now look at her, best garden award 2013. Family is everything hey, they except you for who you are, ya know?